Complaints Handling

At Wright & Co Solicitors we try to provide the best possible service to our clients. In order to do this we need to know from you if you feel dissatisfied. Should you have any occasion to feel unhappy about our service or about our fees, please let us know straight away and we will discuss this with you.

Should you wish to make a complaint, our Client Care Director, Gordon Wright, is the person who deals with these matters. If your complaint concerns Gordon Wright then it will be dealt with by Deborah McBurney who is a Director. We have a procedure in place which details how we handle complaints, which is available upon request.

We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. If we have not resolved it within this time, or if you are not happy with our handling of your complaint, you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman (PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ, telephone 0300 555 0333 between 9am and 5pm, website or email to consider the complaint.

The Legal Ombudsman will expect you to have given us a chance to resolve your complaint before it will get involved. Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within 6 months of receiving a final written response from us and within 6 years from the date of the act or omission about which you are complaining, or 3 years from the date you should reasonably have known there were grounds for complaint.

Alternative complaints bodies (such as ProMediate and Small Claims Mediation) exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme. In the event that you wish to use an alternative complaint body you should advise us and we will then state if we agree to them.

You also have a right to complain about or challenge your bill by applying for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Legal Ombudsman may not consider a complaint about a bill if you have applied to the court for assessment of that bill.

Solicitors must follow the Solicitors Regulation Authority Code of Conduct. It’s a set of rules to make sure they treat you fairly and professionally if you have complained to your solicitor about breaching the SRA Code of Conduct and you are not satisfied with their response, you can report them to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)